Fancy a trip on the Thames? This week’s work in progress is something I’ve been longing to do for some time. Battersea Power station! Although it’s a bit hard to see tucked away on the far bank across from Chelsea Bridge. It was as close as I could get on the day, but I will be back. Nearly forgot to take any WIP shots for this one as it was used in the demo for my talk to Bedford Art Society. It’s a bit blurry but the final photos are lovely and clear for the Saturday reveal. See you then!
Happy New Year! With renewed enthusiasm I bring you The return of the Wednesday Work in Progress It’s a work on canvas and seems to be a popular subject matter as well as a popular exhibition. The poppies exhibition at the Tower of London entitled Blood Swept Lands and Seas of Red, marked the centenary of the outbreak of the First World War. With the recent announcement that the creators, artists Paul Cummins and Tom Piper, have been honoured in the New Years honours list it seems a fitting time to share my interpretation on their exhibit. I’ll be sharing the full story in my newsletter and the completed painting here on Saturday. Until then I’ll let your imagination fill in the blanks.
Finally I can reveal my latest canvas! It’s taken a little longer than planned but I’ve finally finished the work in progress I started last week. After a hectic but thoroughly enjoyable weekend followed by far too much paperwork I’ve been able to finish a painting! I’m still working on the title so as yet it’s “untitled number whatever I’m up to now”. Although as I write this I’ve a strong urge to call it “The eyes have it” Those circles are the lights but they’re looking distinctly eye like to me and more than a little bit creepy. Do you see what I mean? It’s purely coincidence mind you. I was keen to take it more abstract for this one. Now, what shall I call it?
So, on Wednesday I shared an experimental work in progress. Here’s the result. The verdict is… I don’t like it! Visually I like the effect but I found the surface very fragile and I’ve had the familiar drying problem. Cleaning up resulting in ink smudges as well as scratches where I’ve tried to remove the salt. I’ve even had to use white ink on it to touch it up. (Oh the horrors!) So I’ll try the paper glued onto the board next. And I’ll hail a taxi to do it! You’ll have to wait until Wednesday for that to make sense.
I’m developing another fixation! (in case you haven’t guessed). I Love the British Museum, or to be precise, the Atrium roof! So…here’s my latest offering! And it seems you do too as it’s by far and away my most popular subject matter. I’ve no doubt there will be more in the future!